Welcome to Friday! I just woke up today, and the storms were awesome through the night. Bonus - I don't need to use my dribbly hose to water my flowers this morning!
I'm flipping things around today just to keep it interesting :) If you're here for my Five Things for Friday, scroll on down.
Today I'm joining Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings on Fridays, and Freda's Voice for #Friday56. The book I'm reading right now is When I Was You by Amber Garza. I should have the review up on my blog for this one early next week.
From the beginning:
"It was a Monday morning in early October when I first heard about you. I was getting out of the shower when the phone rang. After throwing on a robe and cinching it, I ran into my bedroom, snatching my cell off the nightstand."
And from 56% (thanks to Netgalley for my kindle copy of this book):
"Jealousy struck me, hot and fast like a slap to the face. I was also hit with something else -- reality.
You'd been avoiding me all week because I'd been like Rafael. I'd pushed you too hard. I'd tried to box you in. To control you."
I'm personally just at 5% so far. Rafael is the narrator's husband. The woman she's narrating to (so far) is a younger mother with the same name as the narrator. Sounds like it gets a little crazy, so we'll see what happens!
And now, as promised, my Five Things for Friday!
- What an unexpectedly productive week for me. I've started writing all the things down in my planner again, which has reminded me of other things I mean to schedule. It's mostly kid stuff, but that's always what keeps me busy, right?
- I go back to work on Monday (even though I'm offically laid off as of Sept 15). The department director messaged me yesterday that my building is hosting some sort of meeting on Monday, so we're providing a self-serve breakfast. We need to put out some pastries and juices and such. But, oh year, my building is still super dirty from construction. Not sure WHERE we'll be serving, but it's a few hours of work for me before our mandatory meeting to kick off the year. And then be laid off because the school isn't opening for in-person classes yet.
- My son is SO EXCITED to start swim lessons again! He technically starts in September, but I scheduled two of his make-up lessons for tomorrow. We love Aqua Tots! My son quit swim lessons way back when he broke his leg, and since you pay monthly tuition, we had leftover make-up lessons from that whole month.
- My daughter starts voice lessons later today! We have been loving Outschool! Lots of classes - all via Zoom - in a variety of topics. She's taken two musical history classes and already had an intro meeting with her new voice teacher. My son is signed up for a Penny Castanets class next week (the link there is to the real class - he'd love to have more classmates in class next Friday morning with him - and it's just $10!). While I'm sure the instructors may be a bit hit or miss, all of ours have been great so far.
- My daughter and I signed up with a local nature center to take a bat walk tomorrow night. I was worried about whether my son would make it through an outside walk til 10pm, but luckily hubs will be able to stay home with him and they can have boy time. My daughter and I will drench ourselves in DEET bug spray and head for the trails to learn about bats - yay!!