Switching things up for this Friday - I'll start off with my five things, then talk about Book Beginnings and Friday56 from The Girl Beneath the Sea by Andrew Mayne.
- Happy Birthday to my son Jack! He turned 9 yesterday, and we're having family over tonight to celebrate. I've still got a to-do list a mile long (okay, not a mile: frost cupcakes, put out bird feeders, light candles, and make appetizer dip), so I need to FOCUS and get all this wrapped up.
- While our schools are opening for the elementary kids to choose face-to-face learning starting on October 26, I still haven't heard about work. I'm okay with this, but really would just sort of like to know if I have a job or if I've been replaced. Also, if I have any co-workers, since the other two kitchen ladies in my building are gone, and their positions are not listed as open. Whatever.
- My office remodel is moving along. My new desk is set up, and I moved a few other things around. Still to do - pack up and store lots of scrapbooking/stamping supplies I really don't use anymore, find a desk mat sort of thing to put on the sewing machine cabinet so that can be used as a desk of sorts by a kid needing help, and assemble my big ol' 12-cube unit to store and display stuff.
- This week has really been busy. We had a doctor's appointment for me (just my annual), a dentist appointment for hubs, multiple library pick-ups, a Yelp online kitchen event, swim lesson (usual weekly for Jack), and now the birthday stuff.
- Last random plea for help. LOL My face won't stop twitching. My eye did it a couple years ago, and it stopped around the time I went on high blood-pressure meds and got glasses. Now I don't know why it's doing it. I wear glasses, and take my meds. I've added in taking magnesium and a daily vitamin at my doctors' recommendations, but the twitching is worse than it was a couple years ago. Now it's really half of my face, not just my eye. It's frustrating and embarrassing. Has anyone found an easy solution? I'm really tolerant of this stuff, but it would be nice to not have to take a break from reading because I can't see well enough sometimes, or my speech starts slurring when I'm trying to yell at my kids. I am grateful that I'm mostly healthy, but this seems like something I shouldn't have to put up with for the rest of my life.
Check out lots of other great blogs through the linkys at Rose City Reader and Freda's Voice.
I have a lil confession to make: I find these a lot easier to post when I'm working from a print book. While kindle books are great for reading when the light isn't ideal, print books are a lot easier to jump around in and choose excerpts.
Today's book (that I hope to actually finish up tonight or tomorrow), is The Girl Beneath the Sea by Andrew Mayne. While I think this was an Amazon First Reads pick a month or two ago, I received it from the publisher to review on Books I Think You Should Read. As usual, receiving the book for free will certainly not influence my review.
Something else is in the water.
Never dive alone. Dad's words ring through my head as something splashes above me. My hand goes to the knife strapped to my leg. I take long breaths through my regulator and try to stop myself from fidgeting.
from page 56:
"Hands on the wheel. Police."
The man does a slow turn. He's got a slight grin on his face. "I'm going to start my car and leave."
"No. You're going to stay here until I call for backup."
"Backup? As far as I'm concerned, you're just some crazy bitch who pulled a gun on me." He reaches for the ignition.
This book is the first in the Underwater Investigation Unit series, so I'm sure our heroine, Sloan, will find herself in plenty more trouble. What do you think - sound worth reading?
Thanks for the link to my blog! As far as eyes/face twitching - my eyes tend to do that when I'm under a lot of stress. Maybe the same thing for you?
Good luck on your face twitching!
Happy birthday to Jack, and I love your snippets today. Here's my post: “THE TRUTH ABOUT MELODY BROWNE”
OH NO... have you tried some heated cloths on your face? Maybe to relax nerves? I HATE when my eyes twitch.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACK!!!!
Happy Birthday to your son! I hope he has a nice birthday celebration with family. I hope you get some word about your job soon. It's hard being in limbo. I hope too your are able to resolve your eye twitching. Mine does that when I'm really tired or under a lot of stress.
I hope you are enjoying The Girl Beneath the Sea! It sounds good. I have the first too books in Mayne's Jessica Blackwood series in my TBR pile. It came highly recommended.
Have a great weekend!
Happy birthday Jack!
And happy weekend!
I love your pictures. He's an adorable little boy. Happy birthday to Jack!!
The book sounds very good. I'll check it out.
Here is the link to my post. If you like please consider a follow
An underwater investigative unit? I'm so in! This sounds great! Thanks for sharing!
Happy Birthday to Jack! :)
Happy Birthday to your son! The book looks great. I hope you have a great week.
Post a Comment