- Fun Fact: A 1910 law made it illegal to gamble in Las Vegas. In 1931, a gambling bill was approved that made gambling legal again.
- Fun Fact: In 1946, Bugsy Siegel opened The Flamingo Hotel. Some say his involvement with that project is why he was murdered in 1947 at his mansion in Beverly Hills, California.
- Did you know? The working name for Mandalay Bay was Project Paradise until it opened on March 2, 1999.
- Fun Fact: In 1996, Wayne Newton celebrated his 25,000th performance while Siegfried and Roy celebrated their 15,000th performance.
- Fun Fact: Many of the first hotels on The Strip opened in the 1950's such as The Desert Inn, The Sands, The Riviera, The Dunes, Hacienda, Tropicana, Royal Nevada, Moulin Rouge and The Stardust.
- Fun Fact: In 1966, Howard Hughes begins his infamous stay at the Desert Inn. By 1968, Hughes purchases the Desert Inn after being asked to leave by Hotel management.
- Did you know? The Stratosphere is the tallest, free-standing, observation tower in the US and the tallest structure west of the Mississippi River.
26 January 2011
from All Vegas Guide