- 1805 - Lewis and Clark Expedition: Scouting ahead of the expedition, Meriwether Lewis and four companions sight the Great Falls of the Missouri River.
- 1920 - The United States Postal Service rules that children may not be sent via parcel post.
- 1997 - A jury sentences Timothy McVeigh to the death penalty for his part in the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing.
- 1865 - William Butler Yeats, Irish writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1939)
- 1928 - John Forbes Nash, American mathematician, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Economics